Monday, September 13, 2010

Anatomy of Another (Potential) Craigslist Scam

As a follow-up to the my previous summary of dodgy D700 adverts on our local Craigslist:

http://1000wordpics.blogspot.com/2010/09/anatomy-of-craigslist-rip-off.html

I present to you this dodgy ad:

Nikon D700 - box only - $30  

Date: 2010-09-13, 6:14PM PDT

"My Nikon D700 was stolen. Now I am left with a box I don't need anymore. Is in great condition. Comes with manual, quick guide, Software and USB cable. Asking $30.00 OBO."

To be honest, I am not sure if this is in actual fact, an honest ad, but even if it were, there is nothing honest about it's intent. What honest use could you have for an empty box? I can't think of any practical ones that are worth $30... but $30 is a small price to pay to give a stolen camera the appearance of legitimacy.
  1. An empty box is not worth $30.
  2. If you've lost your camera packaging and want to resell in the future, buying somebody else's packaging will not recoup the reduced price of not having original packaging
  3. The manual that comes with the packaging is not even a worthy buy for $30. You can find some pretty competent third-party how-to books for less.

No comments:

Post a Comment