Saturday, April 28, 2012

iShieldz Screen Protector Review


New screen protector. It was only a matter of time before the  Zagg invisibleSHIELD protector wore off my iPhone 4s. Total time was about six months, and it didn't fall off so much as I got tired of it not sticking properly that I just peeled it off. I'm not disappointed that this stuff doesn't last longer, it's the prices that they charge that I have a bigger issue with. The invisibleSHIELD actually did quite well until I left the phone in a couple of hot steamy places. (If you must know, I was showering with the phone playing podcasts. Happy?) I think the heat degrades the adhesive backing of the product, making it much easier to come off. It never fully loses it's stickiness, but what ends up happening is that the corners will flap around freely if you rub them the wrong way. A firm press and it comes back into place, but by then, it's pretty much the end.

In the picture below, you can see by the discolouration that the edges of the protector are the weak spot. No amount careful preparation can keep lint and stuff from creeping in under the edges of the protector, and after a while, the adhesive gets gummed up and loses its stick. However, the product left no residue on the phone. The stuff does live up to it's billing, even used, it's really tough and pretty much impossible to tear by hand. Puncturing it with a sharp object is not as easy as it seams either.


A local telephone store I wandered into had the iShieldz brand instead of Zagg. (Geez, with a name like that  it's like they're intentionally trying to repel adults). This goes for cheaper and the product range covers less devices. If you go online and try to find reviews for the various screen protectors, you'll be sure to find a a tonne of negative reviews pissing on the various products out there. It's so bad that I'm of the opinion that online reviews for these things are pretty much useless, the various companies have gone out of their way to have shills clog up the forums and comment sections of Amazon and various other outlets.

That said, I'm of the opinion that iShieldz is a better product that invisibleSHIELD. First of all, it goes for cheaper and is less marketing driven. For a pack that covers the front and back (but not sides), the retail was $25CDN. I just outright asked the clerk if they would bring the price down and he knocked off $5 right away. That's what you can do if you don't go for the big name product. iShieldz is also somewhat easier to apply. The supplied bottle of application fluid is something alcohol based in, which makes the drying process quicker, and also helps dissolve any remaining fingerprint oil you might have got onto it. I'm almost sure that the stuff Zagg gives you is nothing more than de-ionized water. However, the iShieldz cutouts are not well done... I had to really pick at a few corners with a pen knife to get it to lift cleanly from the backing paper.

The product itself has a smother feel than invisibleSHIELD. It's not as thick and doesn't have quite the same gel squishiness. When properly applied, it also doesn't have a pronounced an 'orange peel' texture, but neither product is particularly bad in real life use. You only notice it if you spend a lot of time looking at your phone edge-on. iShieldz does pretty much the same thing, it's self-healing, so nicks an dents smooth away in a matter of moments. I'd say that it doesn't really matter which brand you get, real world use renders them disposable in the end, so pay the least that you have to.

21 comments:

  1. Good for the price, functional and easy to apply. I thought it was worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My IShield has been on my Samsung Galaxy for a year now. No flapping edges or anything. Great value.

    ReplyDelete
  3. when you 1st apply it is it normail for it to make your screen look dark and blotchy..it has been 4 hours since i applied it and i just turned my phone on..it doesn't look very pretty!

    I'm worried it messed up my phone

    ReplyDelete
  4. No, the film cuts down the brightness but only a little bit, but otherwise you wouldn't notice it. I've tried a few different brands of films,and they all seem to work the same, so long as you are careful applying them. (After I end up gumming u one film, the phone looks pristine underneath when you peal it off). One of the most important things is to clean the phone before application. I use eyeglass cleaner, but you want to use something very gentle for the screen. You also want to make sure that your fingers are scrupulously clean and wet when you peel off the protectors and apply it. The only other thing that I can think of is if you haven't squeeged all of the application fluid out yet. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have had my isheilz on my phone for two months now and the corner edge is now peeling off. I cannot comment now on either, but years ago with my old phone I bought ishieldz and it was a nightmare with bubbling and looking like plastic wrap on my phone whereas the invisiblesheild lasted me until I got a new phone (3years). After trying ishieldz a second time I now believe that the invisibleshield is better.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've tried a difference brand since, Clear-Coat. I think InvisibleShield has the best 'bounce-back', Clear-Coat is the cheapest, but has the best cut outs, and iShieldz is somewhere in between. (Haven't tried the HD version of InvisibleShield yet) The longevity is determined right away on the day that you apply any protector; if you don't get it right, dust will work its way into a free edge. Other than that, what I've found is that the single worst thing to do is to take it in and out of your jean pockets, especially if you wear skinny jeans. Lint + abrasion = bad for your protector.

    ReplyDelete
  7. horrible. It was installed properly where I purchased it but within 6 months darkened badly and started to peel away and bubble. Warranty was offered for a free replacement but i was told to pay 6.00 for shipping. That's not free especially after only having it less than 6 months. Cheap plastic ones last much longer.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's been my experience, no protector lasts more than 6 months.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Does a great job of protecting the phone from scratches but after a while little dots starter appearing on the screen and they won't go away and it really bugs me!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Try a dab of windex or rubbing alcohol. Usually a damp cloth is good enough.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Please Please don't use this isheildz Screen Protector...

    I had installed one on my Nexus 4 and as isheildz screen protector fully sticked to the original screen so the Touch response was really very good.

    But after 2 days when my Nexus 4 dropped from my bed as ishieldz screen protector was fully sticked to the original screen so it forwarded the pressure of just small drop to the original device screen and my Nexus 4 touch-screen gone break and irresponsive.

    Although, previously my Nexus 4 had been dropped various time from my hand or from more height but my screen was always remained safe as the actual protector was not fully sticked to the original screen so the pressure of drop was consumed by original protector and the original screen remained safe.

    Tauseef
    tauseef.iqbal@ymail.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. Good article post really interesting!Obviously many people across the globe are interested in buying Screen Protector.We provide unique product Packaging Design and re-design service for our client OEM product, givinh extra value to the product under cost limitation.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hello,
    I realy interest in this blog,Daqin Mobile Prink has been focus on Consumer personalization Custom Mobile Skin Design System industry.Suitable for the mobile phone stores, mobile phone beauty salons, gift wholesalers, custom DIY project.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks for sharing your info. I truly appreciate your efforts and I will be waiting for your further write ups thank you once again.
    http://www.iwalkusa.com/

    ReplyDelete
  16. Daily use with your tablet will definitely lead to scratches, dust, and of course fingerprints - but these are just the things that can reduce screen life and cause problems as you are seeking to use the screen. Solve your problems with just a Click tablet screen protection

    ReplyDelete
  17. In my opinion Tempered Glass Screen Protector is protection for all smart phones and also for the iPhone 6 and the high quality screen protector can actually help to increase the life of your phone.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Worse protector ever. Dollarama ones are better.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Worse protector ever. Dollarama ones are better.

    ReplyDelete
  20. bought the one shatter resistant: started cracking after a few days: dropped the phone: broke screen and protector. Piece of junk and they do not return calls

    ReplyDelete
  21. bought the one shatter resistant: started cracking after a few days: dropped the phone: broke screen and protector. Piece of junk and they do not return calls

    ReplyDelete